Hutton

all messages by user

4/27/2017
Topic:
Previously: Science! Now it's about space stations

Hutton
Hutton
If you capture but don't own, who's logistics does it count against? Is the real owner stuck with a logistics cost that they can't dump while someone else occupies the structure?

If no one is responsible it becomes exploitable. I yield a factory for you and you build one for me and then we capture them and the don't count against our logistics cap.

For that reason I suggest that if someone captures it they own it. But maybe you want to do away with scrapping and just allow downgrades with a cool down.
4/28/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
That's a valid point. On the one hand, I think you should have a have a long recovery time after a protracted war; but it does create this counterintuitive situation where it's faster to build a new level 10 unit (assuming you have a level 10 Base) than reinforce your battle weary legion back up to full strength.

Is it feasible in the game engine, and would it be an acceptable middle ground to make it fast to upgrade up to the level of a Military Base in the same square? Then you would still have to retreat to your home turf to refit, but it wouldn't take you just as long to do so as a corp with only a level 1 base?
4/28/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
The game seems to have a certain consistancy in the math between levels in most aspects. I think the only practical difference between a level 10 unit and 100 level 1 units is the Logistics cost. And the same goes for a level 10 (X100) vs a level 9 (X75) plus a level 7 (X25). So the time to upgrade a level 9 to level shouldn't be more than it takes to build a level 7 at your level 10 military base, if you have one.
4/28/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
I might be wrong, but I thing he was more concerned about mobile ground units. That's a situation where you might win, but still take a beating first. And I usually give my ground units an order que to cease Attacking/Guarding at a certain damage threshold followed by an order to retreat to a base. I haven't been in enough fights to know for sure that's an effective tactic, but I assume that's what everyone else does. Under those circumstances you would expect to have lots of units getting downgraded but not destroyed.

Actually, that brings up another kink. If you have units getting downgraded it will screw up the modifier to stop Attacking or guarding at a certain threshold. If I tell a unit to retreat at 20%, it will never retreat until level 1 because it is always going to downgrade before it drops anywhere near that.
4/28/2017
Topic:
Open a new page? (Not about:blank)

Hutton
Hutton
A temporary workaround is to duplicate the tab your starting with (Ctrl+K) and then left click on the link you want in the new tab.
4/28/2017
Topic:
Prepare to be enslaved

Hutton
Hutton
And they deplete the population of the city you produce them in.
5/1/2017
Topic:
Prepare to be enslaved

Hutton
Hutton
Also, might make it too easy to kill a city out from under everyone else. There would have to at least be veto power from the rulers. All three tiers of them.
5/4/2017
Topic:
Later game

Hutton
Hutton
badmaw wrote:
"This game is meant to be played for a long time"

Yes, but you don't drag the moves for weeks just because you'd want to be played for a long time. That's how you make players play for a short time. Make enough content and make it engaging so people want to play it for a long time. Imagine a D&D game where the dices spin 4 hours.

I'm going to disagree with you there. I was drawn to this project exactly because it's a slow burn game. It scratches the same itch that play-by-mail games did before the internet. I want something that I can spend a few minutes on during my lunch break, on the train, or right before bed. But something that at the same time will give me an opportunity to make long term plans that I can watch grow over months and years. If it was sped up you would need a lot a free time to stay on top of your balance sheet. I like the pace just the way it is.
5/4/2017
Topic:
Mid-construction at upgrade?

Hutton
Hutton
If you are part way through construction of a unit or structure when a Base or Shipyard levels up, does the remaining time on the construction get cut accordingly?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to know if you should wait for an upgrade to finish before queing up a big unit or you can just punch it in and still get the benefit of the upgrade when it goes through.
5/5/2017
Topic:
Mid-construction at upgrade?

Hutton
Hutton
badmaw wrote:
You ask if ten men will beat you up or just eight. The proper question is why the men should beat you up. Can't we just get along? Can't we just have reasonable times?

???
5/5/2017
Topic:
Consequences of a negative balance?

Hutton
Hutton
What happens when your cash balance goes in to the red? What functions continue on credit?

Will structures still produce? Will units follow orders? Will units or structures get randomly scrapped? Will they repair? Will construction that was already qued get aborted?
5/5/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
I just found a bit in the Guide that confirms upkeep will continue to be charged against your negative balance, from which I infer no auto scrapping either. But what about repair and construction that is already qued?
5/5/2017
Topic:

Hutton
Hutton
What about repairs?
5/5/2017
Topic:
Keeping track of company name changes

Hutton
Hutton
A unique identifier on battle reports and company profile should do it, I think. Especially if you make the identifier searchable in the Company Search. Or even keep an invisible record of old company names so they still pop up when you search their old name.

Was this misunderstanding what lead to the evacuation of Cairo?
5/6/2017
Topic:
The official Orbital Megastructures thread

Hutton
Hutton
Speaking to your last point, how about orbital agricultural platforms for planets without Fields and Pastures? That might make a dent in population growth since you upped the significance of food and water.
5/8/2017
Topic:
Stuck at 5187

Hutton
Hutton
We appear to have been stuck since last night.
5/8/2017
Topic:
Stuck turns and election terms?

Hutton
Hutton
We were stuck for around twelve hours from last night through today. Does that push elections back twelve hours, or are they triggered on a real world timer?
5/8/2017
Topic:
Stuck turns and election terms?

Hutton
Hutton
So, for example, last week the election for Emperor was called for on Tuesday morning at 8:50 AM. This week we won't be seeing it until called for until Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning, depending on how many snags the turn flip ran into over the week.

Now that I think about it, there were no Municipal elections on Earth last Friday. Were there so many hung turns that we haven't gotten to last weeks city elections?
5/8/2017
Topic:
The official Orbital Megastructures thread

Hutton
Hutton
What about my old suggestion of blockades? And to be clear, that suggestion wasn't that a blockading fleet prevents movement on and off planet, just that they engage every ship trying to run the blockade in one turn of combat. (Maybe with a chance to evade based on the the size of the blockading fleet against speed divided by size of the blockade running unit). Starbases should give a bonus to close orbit superiority.
5/8/2017
Topic:
To those I overcrowd

Hutton
Hutton
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you trying to sell your structures for $32 each?