Aywanez

all messages by user

6/27/2017
Topic:
Grains

Aywanez
Aywanez
It would be nice to have grains/wool as source products for something (like cotton is.) Other than that- no real point.
6/27/2017
Topic:
Comms : Preserving scrubbed characters with swaps

Aywanez
Aywanez
Just use escape characters, jeez. Aren't there standard libraries that do that in ASP?
6/27/2017
Topic:
Alt Optimization

Aywanez
Aywanez
There are a few problems:
Some people have a lot of alts.
It's hard to tell which alts are whose.
However, limited use of alts is allowed and tacitly encouraged, so the difficulty of fixing the problems is matched by a lack of desire to deal with them.

I notice also, that players are separate from corporations (I don't know if this is cosmetic or has some backing in the database, but it would surely be trivial to add such backing.)
I would thus like to propose that instead of allowing multiple accounts, the Devs allow multiple (how about 3 exactly? or 5?) Corporations per account. That would set a natural limit to alts, allow people to easily see who's who, and if someone continues to make new accounts in the new system, this would be a much clearer violation of the (currently poorly defined) Alt Policy, which the community has so far been willing to enforce internally.
The people running alts will also have an easier time keeping their forum personas consistent, and logins all in one place. So they (the ones operating in good faith, anyway) also win.

(NB: This post refers to the same person having multiple accounts as a "having alts" and the accounts themselves as "alt"s. It does not refer to the Alt key on the keyboard, but if it did, it would strictly refer to it as "Alt key". Nor indeed the musical instrument, which it would refer to as "viola".)
6/27/2017
Topic:
Contract Title doesn't work

Aywanez
Aywanez
No matter what you put in the "title" field during contact creation, it always retains the default title after being created.
edited by Aywanez on 6/27/2017
6/29/2017
Topic:
Piracy research/mode

Aywanez
Aywanez
So this was recently raised in a discussion:
Piracy should be a game feature and not an alt workaround in my opinion. So just implement it as a research and apply in this case on a group or fleet. On the other hand we need a second research to de-mask the pirate with a specific chance depending on the research level.

I think it's a great idea.
The way I see it working is: there's a special mode, where you can attack others and they have a chance (50% base, better for special attacker units/with research, worse if the stack has detector units/research) to attack without identifying themselves (just the unit types attacked with.) This entirely deprives attacker of reparations (even when detected.) Another interesting idea is for each player present (not attacked, present in square) to have a separate chance to recognize the attacker. That way there's an extra reason for players to talk to each other.
Edit: got confused about what "better" meant. oops.
edited by Aywanez on 6/29/2017
6/30/2017
Topic:
Piracy research/mode

Aywanez
Aywanez
Reparations were kind of a tangent here. The idea was raised inside a discussion on reparations and piracy, so I included it here.
The main point is to support a different mode of play on the military branch: player perpetrated piracy! In order for that to work, however, a player needs some way of hiding his units (otherwise they will be immediately killed by, well, everyone- from victims to their senior guild-mates, to system governors.)
RP-wise this means scrubbing all markings from your ships and turning off the transponder. The simplest way to do this mecahnics-wise is to just not say who the attack was by (even though, as you point out, all assets are seen, not all players are online at all times, so you might simply miss the attack and still be none the wiser.) A more complicated way is to have either pirate ships, that are always removed from the ledger, or allow ships to go into pirate mode (and be removed temporarily)
6/30/2017
Topic:
Fulfill contracts with present stacks

Aywanez
Aywanez
When someone offers to buy or sell a stack (of products or items) at a location where the stack is, it should just automatically fulfill from the stack.
So for example:
on turn 1
Alice LLC has 1000 giblets in Townsville
BobCorp puts up a contract to buy 555 giblets for 1 cent each to be delivered to Townsville
Alice LLC accepts the contract.

On turn 2, without anyone doing any additional actions:
Alice LLC should have 445 giblets in Townsville
BobCorp should have 555 giblets in Townsville
and Alice LLC should get $5.55
6/30/2017
Topic:
Can't load/unload a single category of goods

Aywanez
Aywanez
I'm honestly not sure if this is a bug report, a feature request, or just a nitpick. wink
When you order a unit to "Transfer cargo", it's possible to choose a category and within in pick "everything", however the game interprets that as "everything regardless of category", which is a little odd.

"Alright, smartass- I hear you say - why would you ever need a thing like that?"
I will admit there's only one use case, but it might still occur. Let's say that you are running a large factory in a particular city (that you can't and/or won't sell it's entire production run to), and you have piles of source materials and also piles of products (you try to switch up production every once in a while but by now demand on all of them is low.) All the products are in one category (natually) so you might want to send in a freighter (or monolist, why not?) to pick them all up (in 1 turn) and bring them to another city to be sold there.
7/2/2017
Topic:
Loading *everything* doesn't respect quantity

Aywanez
Aywanez
And order to pick up every product will not respect quantity limits set in the order and will try to pick up all the things at the location (or until the cargo hold is full.)
7/3/2017
Topic:
Regarding demand in cities

Aywanez
Aywanez
I would like the demand system in general to be more 2 sided: currently it only increases on it's own in (what seems like) a linear progression. That's not how real world demand works.
What I'd like to see is a 2-force system: demand for each product increases by, say, 1 percentage point each turn, but then also falls by. for example, 0.1% if it's current value. (Demand is, of course tracked as a float in this scenario) that way demand rises much faster when it's low and slower when it's high. Indeed a city where demand is below 15% requires a near-constant stream of supplies to keep there, whereas one with demand> 800% will almost never get any more demand.
This will also resolve the proposed problem, as the severely decreased growth of demand for higher-tier goods will drive demand down on it's own, even if the city doesn't get supplied by players.
7/3/2017
Topic:
What should we work on next? 06/29

Aywanez
Aywanez
I'm split between CRIV (which I voted for) and SO/S, so if this will help the matter be resolved, I can switch my vote to Orbits.
7/4/2017
Topic:
Loading *everything* doesn't respect quantity

Aywanez
Aywanez
Personally, I would be fine with it picking X amount of the most plentiful product once.
7/4/2017
Topic:
Regarding demand in cities

Aywanez
Aywanez
Well, what happens now (at least out in the colonies) is that there's a city that gets supplied with mostly underfoot garbage, it then grows and starts to slowly demand better goods, it does not get supplied (because there's hardly any industry, and demand isn't nearly high enough to ship stuff from Earth.) and then continues to free-fall until it finally dies (presumably). You might also want to check if the code that should make demand fall to 200 actually works.

Also, if you don't like demand as float idea, how about making volume (slightly) dependent on demand? Make it demand a bit elastic. It makes sense that if you could buy apples for 10c/ pound you'd buy a lot more of them then if they were $100/pound. Even if you live in a place where that was always the price.
Wikipedia link on the subject
edited by Aywanez on 7/4/2017
7/5/2017
Topic:
Editing a Transfer after contract is not correct

Aywanez
Aywanez
Editing a Transfer Cargo order immediately after another one that is used to fulfil a contract will leave the contract checkbox filled, and the order incorrect.
Steps to reproduce:
0. have a unit capable of transportation, have an active sell contract for a product or item.
1. open the unit's order screen
2. add a Transfer cargo order without a contract. (for example Pick Up everything)
3. add a Transfer cargo order that fulfills a contract
4. click edit on the first order (from step 2)

Result: the editing fields still displays data from step 3.
7/6/2017
Topic:
Distribution centers don't limit selling to power

Aywanez
Aywanez
A distribution center can sell more product then it has B/S power, if the local maximum volume for that good is higher.
Possibly only affects orders with pre-set sale amounts.
7/11/2017
Topic:
Custom Vote almost done, some tweaks

Aywanez
Aywanez
How about keeping the city number for spawner system low (10, maybe 15) but instead requiring that the galaxy population be at least Systems*100?
7/12/2017
Topic:
Business Weekly Publication

Aywanez
Aywanez
Did this go out of print after 1 issue? If not, how do I see the others?
7/13/2017
Topic:
Mining power is wrong

Aywanez
Aywanez
At least according to the manual.
The Guide has this to say on the topic:
"There is an Overcrowding mechanic on asteroid mining similar to normal structures. After 1000 total power mining a location in a single turn, every 1000 power worth of ships mining that same location in the same turn will cause a drop in production for everyone. The penalty is divide the total quantity by 1 + (0.1 for every 1000 power past the first). For example mining a 15 value resource at 3000 power would be (15 x 30) / 1.2 = 375 and not 450 it normally would have been."
However my observations have been that the penalty is actually 1 + (1 for every 1000 power past the first.) Or, to put it plainly, "Amount never increases beyond 10xresource value, and if more than 1000 total power is involved in mining, the 1000 power amount is split between participants according to their power."
edited by Aywanez on 7/13/2017
7/14/2017
Topic:
New Star Lord requirements

Aywanez
Aywanez
You would think that, but actually Sol was the first system ever settled and it has one of the worst developments of non-primary planets.
Also, there you somehow have to convince people to settle inferior cities. How about just 3 planets with 3 cities and 3000 productive power each?
7/17/2017
Topic:
Ocrowd - facilities with reduced production

Aywanez
Aywanez
I can confirm that partial production works as intended- if you produce less than 100%, you get overcrowding only for the amount your produce.