IamGroot

all messages by user

3/4/2017
Topic:
Guide / Combat Section

IamGroot
IamGroot
The Combat Guide is off centered making it so I can't read what the information is. Using Mozilla Firefox browser if this helps. I may try using Google chrome later to see if issue is cleaned up as I noticed in Discord you were making more adjustments via Google chrome rather then previous IE browser. All other sections are functioning just fine. Just Combat section is scrolled to far right side with no actual scroll bar. Zooming (Ctrl / -) out is only fix I have found. This is not a huge issue but maybe one you should be aware of.

Thanks and good luck
edited by IamGroot on 3/4/2017
edited by IamGroot on 3/4/2017
3/5/2017
Topic:
Where did you hear about Barons of the Galaxy?

IamGroot
IamGroot
I have a lot of time on my hands. I have played AE / OG for a good few years and I usually end up leading alliances. I still play OG and the other day had found myself doing a search on an issue that we face in OG, that has become more prevalent over time. That problem being 'Multi Account' players. So I started Google searching the topic from the side of "What would a cheater do?" So I searched something like : Using TOR browser Ogame.

This game was just mentioned in the same forum like in a side bar topic not in the actual thread talking about how to cheat by multi accounting - Just to make sure I have clarified that point.
I saw mention in other links that came up of your game basically with reference of some such vaguely worded like - Game for people fed up with OGame and Astro Empires.

Way I see things is if you have to use two decks of cards to play Black-Jack then you are not playing Black-Jack anymore. Most guys who use such tactics end up actually hobbling themselves for not focusing real energy into one account. Beyond that I have noticed that despite not being banned from game it is easy to spot most of them as they tend to lack any real creativity - Point here being I do not condone the act of playing multi-accounts it tends to wreck things for the individual as well as the community.

I have met a few people who have made efforts to set up a game based loosely on such ideals to varying degrees of success. My main interest is learning to be semi proficient at a new game. So I started this up and find so far that it has a lot of depth to it. I also like the NPC aspect as other efforts to break away (from the norm) have done. This is often implemented as a way to decrease player to player aggression but seems to mainly attract a more mature crowd.

I look forward to exploring this project. Dark Expanse is another game created by old fans of OG / AE I have spent time with, they also have been working towards getting away from pay-to-win.. while also still having to pay for server space.
3/5/2017
Topic:
Tweaking how Paid Accounts and Sol will work

IamGroot
IamGroot
I guess I was logged out while writing that last book above there- Just wanted to claim responsibility for my lengthy opinion.
3/5/2017
Topic:
Tweaking how Paid Accounts and Sol will work

IamGroot
IamGroot
Thanks for clarifying that. I did not know about the voting thing so much. I actually assumed it might even be based on what power you had in this city. Which had me wondering if all I needed to do was just send a few high level transports to park on a location just to influence a vote.

Also I read further up on the paid account on Home page and see that your HQ reverts back to Sol / Earth - if your paid account runs out.. So what about dangling the idea of just buying one subscription of X amount to allow a player to NOT have their base HQ sent back to Sol or Earth ? For that reason alone you might entice players to buy even one subscription. I mean that's kinda what I am driving at is more small bonuses for the faithful fan say.. Also just getting other fans to increase population of the game to just buy in once can be a big boost later on.

I see also the issue you might have with votes being more influenced just by free players doing a multi thing shenanigan.. That would be bad, so I retract my previous view. I think that some votes would still be good, but giving more weight to paying accounts might still be a better idea. Like say they get a x whatever to industry even for event votes. However maybe not having the Election votes open to free accounts is a good idea to avoid the issue you have brought up.

I still see other issues multi accounts might create. Such as say now being able to make and produce a wide range of resources doing self trades thus feeding one 'central account' up sorta like the "pushing" that goes on in OG... I would vote but there is no option to say -

YES
Free accounts restricted to earth
Free accounts vote only on events (even half strength would be cool) / NO vote on elections.

If (hopefully it happens) you get such a over crowding going on down on Earth then just open up another planet for free players HQ's in Sol System. I mean you will see when it becomes an issue and would not want some valid new player comes in and cant really get his game rolling because all cities and resources are tapped out to the max.

(edited for Type errors and bad sentencing - sorry)
edited by IamGroot on 3/5/2017
3/5/2017
Topic:
City Leader?

IamGroot
IamGroot
No I get it.. I like it, makes it more fun I think. Things like No capitol ships is just saying park your personal army elsewhere. Still should have the option to disregard this law especially if you wanted to raid the city like some funky giant metal Godzilla (with your bad boy guns). However then requiring maybe a bounty placed on your head for being such a rule breaker.

Banning Guilds or corps is also cool.. Like you get fed up with somebody feeding your citizens all that chicken and boosting the undesirable lower class citizens up. Or hard narcotics.. Still would be fun to have a work around. Like a stealth pirate ship just to smuggle in some contraband chicken nuggets and have a % chance to avoid the bounty rule breakers get placed on their head.
Would be wicked cool to get slapped with a title like Smuggler King, and as repercussion find yourself banned from trading on earth what with the Terran Feds hunting you down for the bounty.

I mean I have been in cities where you can get arrested for harassing squirrel's (Brea, Kentucky), or skateboarding on the side walks (Santa Cruz, California), where marijuana is legal (more of a state issue). Like being able to buy alcohol on a Sunday or not.. or shoot your guns.

I realize that coding all that might be helluva lot of time, so if you can just make me a stealth pirate ship I will be happy!! As for leaving a guild I would understand but such just means that choices and politics would have real weight in game. Of course if you left my guild I would remember your fickle loyalty...

If I was a crafty Guild Leader I would say " We may have been banned for now... But by gosh we will have the last Boycott!"
3/8/2017
Topic:
Defending home town

IamGroot
IamGroot
I am just wondering about how the mechanics of this works. I know on Earth or all of SOL we have Terran Federation troops. I myself started in Jacksonville a few days back. I guess out of general paranoia I felt I should pitch in on defending my home town.. I have even gone so far as deploying at least an Infantry unit at my mining / extraction locations.

Anyways when I first started I saw a pretty nice stack (as in 5 or more) of 'Rail Guns' in Jacksonville owned by Terran Fed (Just going to call em' the TF now on). After I built my first one they all disappeared. The TF still has other military here but that stack of Rail Guns (level 9) are no longer here and now I feel even more obligated to pitch in on defense. So my main question is that in producing a Rail gun did I chase off the TF Rail guns. Its too bad since I only made one and it is still not yet LvL 9.. So in pitching in did I just create a weak point??

At this time I have made a couple more and am working on upgrading them - I realize Earth is probably better defended then most alternatives, I do not see other players actually building fixed defenses in their HQ Earth bases. Still you never know what with all the Kaiju spawning.
3/8/2017
Topic:
Defending home town

IamGroot
IamGroot
Just to make sure I have this correct - In producing a defensive unit the TF disbanded all their similar units? (the stack of rail guns they had is now replaced by my rail gun?)

I mean if I wanted to use this I suppose as an advantage .. Saying the only apparent silver lining I can see is... I move a Military base into a town with some other happy go lucky neer' mind the combat stuff corporations. Now I build a rail gun and say a fortification. Now as all the TF units begin to disperse here comes my jolly ole band of raiders and I commence in 'butchering' the unsuspecting populace of said unfortunate city. With the added benefit that my rail gun and fortification is on hand to pitch in on the bloodbath...

I mean that's just a possible scenario I see if the TF tend to disperse if a player takes up the reigns so to speak in 'defending' a given location. Then wakes up in a bad mood some day hating his neighbors and all. I just want to understand the possible mechanics on this. Like, as a new player you are just better off making deploy-able units that cover outside interests, and maybe avoid building a low level rail gun that could chase off the better rated stack of TF rail gun emplacements that were there to begin with...?

(edited because my "E" key sometimes fails, sorry..)
edited by IamGroot on 3/8/2017
3/10/2017
Topic:
3 Forum Tweak Ideas

IamGroot
IamGroot
- 3 Ideas for edits / adjustments to current Forum:

#1. A search bar in forum
Reasoning:
* There is already quite a few pages, I hate to feel like I am beating a dead horse subject. It would be better to revive an older thread and give support, or add to it rather then have multiple threads blooming on same subject over the course of time.
* I have found that I can answer many of my own questions by reading other past topics so having a search would cut down on redundant subjects.. (not that many exist that I see right now) Inspire users to utilize a more logical 'header'. Reduce time spent scrolling through pages of past topics. = A much more useful resource for learning the finer points of the game.

#2. User login adjustment
Reasoning:
Past experience shows that after X amount of time passes with a forum tab open and forum will auto log out a member (or just me). Trying to log back in using top right field shows shows - Error wrong user name or password. I actually tried to log back in several times using the name and password I signed up with, even later tried to change password in profile.. Which shows the right amount of characters to legitimize the reasoning that it should be my actual password / user name.. But it also claims ' Wrong username / password '.
If I close tab and try to log back in via forum link on home page browser will open to Guest form page, rather then my actual account... If I wait for a bit then try again it will then open my User account.

#3. Full Reply feature
Reasoning:
There is no click drag corner button on Quick reply so in responding to any current topic only allows you to visualize aprox 3 lines of text (sorry may be one more or less). Anyways this makes it harder to see whole body of written material, and or edit pre-posting.

Thanks in advance for consideration of implementing my proposed ideas.

Ps - No need to reply to this, or use "reply with quote". This is just a little worm of thought being thrown into the sea of dreams.
Hope I am not beating any dead horsies with this one, there is more suggestion pages then any other section.
edited by IamGroot on 3/10/2017
3/11/2017
Topic:
Seeking 2nd corp center in SOL

IamGroot
IamGroot
The Paper Street Company is looking to branch out and try helping boost a SOL system planet economy.

I would rather help out then create any competition and fill a small niche in the economic zone. Main area of our current corporate focus is synthetic goods / meats / would like to set a distribution center up and see about helping to build a population. We do a lot of redistribution buying cheap and selling high. This advertisement is to see if I can find a location in the most friendly manner. Willing to share defensive support and create agreements of market control.

Looking to get in to a welcoming city of decent population with no toe stomping feelings created. More of a experimental operation and not expecting any real returns on profit.

I check the Forum at least once per day, or you can contact me in game at:
Corporation: Paper Street. - Owner: Tyler Durden. - Guild: Blue Kaiju Cult.
3/11/2017
Topic:
Public Services

IamGroot
IamGroot
I just started making public services - Actually 'Recreation' / Nightclubs. Just reading this now and will say when I made my first 'night clubs', I expected them to be more like an item that needed to be shipped. My whole plan went awry in that I was making them at my home location where it was not as optimal.. I needed to salvage that structure and then make and deploy an ACP and then follow that with my supplies.. My main draw to this is I saw a high population area that I could make at least some overnight income. Something I could feed once a day or whatever and keep some income coming in.

I am only using a Recreation Center.. I also added later a Distribution center. All the end products I feed it I just buy as a middle man, here and there. Not long enough to drive a price up mind you but enough to keep that Rec Center making night clubs while I sleep, and through the day. So I have no complaint. The whole thing works better with high population areas to keep the sell price high. I will make even more profit as time goes on as I see it, as I upgrade it another level. Like the materials I buy to feed the process I will wait till the sell price drops a bit but not to drastically. That is when I will use the same set up, and location to feed more bought at dirt cheap prices the materials I will need to switch and make parks, or that sports arena item.

There is another guy in the same city with two such Recreation centers set up. I am not even competing with him on the product market but there is enough demand we could both be producing the same product, Churches or whatnot and not cause each other to be cutting out any sales by turn. He is doing two recreation items and I am just doing one.

I feel its working well as it is. I agree with BaronsOfTheGalaxy that it may have more to do with players not being at a high enough in game population. As he says "low density of the player base". I also think maybe we have a tendency as a whole to be spreading out a bit farther. Earth seems to be very sparse as it is but I have looked in other SOL system planets and seen that general population seems to go down much further.

I made my first experiment at producing an end product as picking Paint. Because I saw it was high in demand in lots of areas and I have two of the main ingredients right in my home city HQ. I sold like idk, maybe 200 - 300 units of paint and woke up the next morning tagged as the Synthetic King of Sol.Was previously like tagged as 'Lumber Tycoon of Jacksonville' and that took days of selling Rare wood all over the darn place. So I took it as a Sign if you will that I just found a niche that needed to be filled.

So I am saying I like how the Services are set up.. With such city locations with high populations I can see many guys sharing the same area of sale and not feel like they are being crunched out. Further more you don't get some guy cruising up with some mega-size transport and BAM !! next thing you see when you log back in a few hours later is you have been selling 2, then 1 unit of product for the past two hours.. or more. That has happened to me already now a time or two and ticked me off until I realized the guy was coming from somewhere like Uranus. He probably set his orders up hours ago, at least before I set my own up and just had bad luck to pick the same market spot. Just saying at least with night-clubs and churches there is no surprise arrival of an overwhelming supplier. Which would be the case if it was an item that could be transported.

Edited for my terrible spelling -/- drool spots -/- run away sentences.. Sorry
edited by IamGroot on 3/11/2017
3/11/2017
Topic:
Fleet ejected my troops

IamGroot
IamGroot
Well I am about to lose a couple of hours of flight time. Had to turn around and go pick up a Cargo transport Ground unit and a Infantry that was just randomly ejected into space. Good thing I woke up and rolled out of bed to check as it seems to now be dying slowly what with being stuck in the vacuum of space.. Fleet is now at Sector 1 | 11:11 | 21:15 | 24:24

Going back for units at 23:17 | 22:22 or 122069972 : 190429197

Tumble Weed L1 4 Paper Street 23:17 | 22:22 96% HP (In Space)
Sgt Sapling 5 Paper Street 23:17 | 22:22 96% HP (In Space)

--- I have been napping past couple hours I did not make any command to eject my units. I am already slow boating my way from Sol to Laver City. This is kinda like the equivalent of going from Vermont to Florida and realizing you left Grandma at that rest stop back in Kentucky when you just hit border of Georgia.. Yes I did turn around and I am going back. I just hope you are paying for gas...

Please let me get there before they die... Looks like I better get coffee on :coffee
New Orders:

1 Move To Location Alpha | Orion | Sector 1 | 11:11 | 23:17 | 22:22
2 Load / Unload Units Load Units: Specific Units
3 Load / Unload Units Load Units: Specific Units
4 Move To Location Alpha | Orion | Sector 1 | Gulyaev | Gulyaev V | Laver

You may be asking what was I doing at a rest stop in Kentucky anyways. Well Captain that's a great question, the way they fly this ship I am wondering this myself..
edited by IamGroot on 3/11/2017
3/12/2017
Topic:
Fleet ejected my troops

IamGroot
IamGroot
I was not upgrading any units that were loaded. I did during the voyage decide to upgrade one of the ships in my fleet group. The corvette, which was not carrying anything. Resources and ACP items were also on board the same ship and they were not ejected.
3/13/2017
Topic:
Fleet ejected my troops

IamGroot
IamGroot
Well my fleet got to Laver city.. No further faulty airlock mishaps however 2 things..

The ACP structure / and the ACP military base are no longer in my cargo inventory..
This is a small problem seeing how long it took to get here.

Second issue is maybe just inexperience related. I cant break my Fleet group up into individual components.. I see the (remove) far right on Manage page but it does nothing. Any help on this?
Okay separated ships however I need to note that I had full cargo on a Carrier with 2 ACP Items rest was then loaded with Resources and had two units. 1000 storage space.
I then loaded or think I did the Freighter.. I forget what and joined it to fleet group. Part of dissecting Fleet group was just that I had to determine what ship was carrying what cargo.

Now that all are separated I see much empty cargo space between the two ships.. Meaning something else was lost.. When I went back to pick up my troops in dead space I saw no ACP items or resources to reload. Anyways whatever happened to the cargo is beyond me I cant honestly remember all of what I choose to pack.
I think it was meat that got lost.

Anyways the ACP items are also a set back for the whole trip. I will see if I can bribe SCU to make one for me until then I will find a work around. Like maybe selling from the Ground unit transporter instead of building the proposed ACP Distribution center. Military ACP was for just making a start at helping defend - however Rupture farms just made a generous auction sale that challenges my military logistics so that is not so big a loss at this time.

- Last note is I see some areas like this Fleet compilation / decomposition stuff I would not mind helping by writing up and say adding an Advanced guide to BOTG forums that maybe can be added to and made into a future sticky thread. Some of the things tutorial is not covering but can be learned trial and error may not be so easy for some guys who lose patience easy.

edited by IamGroot on 3/13/2017
3/13/2017
Topic:
Seeking 2nd corp center in SOL

IamGroot
IamGroot
Okay I want to try to help and turn that around.. Even losing profit.. We need to build or we die.. I am heading to Gulaver V or Laver city but I will send a colony ship your way once I locate you for sure.

We need pop.. pop is our pay check..

Well not o colony ship but you know what I mean..

(edited lack of content)